Saturday, January 7, 2017

Party Girl

 How can I help you?

When I first started writing this post, it was a few days before the election and I was expecting that the chaos and devastation would all be behind us soon. Now New Year's is already past and we are into 2017, so it seems I am always a few days late with celebrating and looking forward. As things have been grimly moving ahead with the so called "president elect" I have felt quite a bit of despair about the state of things and especially about the status of information in this new environment. I don't expect to be able to do much in the political sphere, nor do I desire to do so, but at least I can make a stand for finding true and valid information, checking sources, and using critical thinking skills! This is a major part of the job of a school librarian, as I understand it.

As you can see, I needed a laugh! This brought me back to Party Girl, which was made back in 1995, when many libraries were still using card catalogs and automation was only beginning to take hold in libraries, before social media, the same year that DT wrote off $900 million on his tax returns, and well before the events of 9/11 stole the innocence in NYC and altered so many things...

So if you have an hour and a half to spare and you haven't seen it before this movie is light enough to take away any sense of doom and gloom that may have carried over from 2016. Just click on the link below to watch the youTube version of Parker Posey in Party Girl!

   



Sending out best wishes for a very happy 2017 and may we all find ways to be strong and live in the light! 

1 comment: